[cfarm-users] request for tmpfs on gcc220 (was: gcc220 replaced with new hardware)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:14:47 CET 2021

On Mon, Sep 20 2021, Baptiste Jonglez via cfarm-users wrote:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> Due to a hardware failure, gcc220 had to be reinstalled on new hardware.
>
> Unfortunately, it means that all user data on the old system has been lost.
>
> On the bright side of things, the new hardware is much larger, with 12
> cores / 24 threads and 384 GB of RAM.  This is now the host with the
> largest amount of memory in the farm.
>
> Many thanks to openbsd.amsterdam for providing the hardware and hosting it!

That's great, yes thanks for providing an OpenBSD machine that's this
capible, it's not long ago that I'd often not test at all on OpenBSD
because there was just some very slow VM'd 1-core box.

Request: Would it be possible to provide a tmpfs on that machine ("man 8
mount_tmpfs" I believe) similar to the /run/user on some linux boxes?
Something in the small number of GBs would be more than sufficient.

My main use for development on these boxes is running git.git's test
suite, it creates a fair bit of FS churn, and is very quickly I/O
limited. It sets up and populates a lot of small git repositories on
disk, only to rm -rf them shortly afterwards.

For my use it doesn't need to be some per-user mounts like on linux, and
it's also fine if there's say a nightly cronjob to rm -rf the whole
thing, it's only needed for transitory (usually no more than max 30s)
data.