[cfarm-users] request for tmpfs on gcc220 (was: gcc220 replaced with new hardware)

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado iam at juanfra.info
Fri Nov 5 15:45:10 CET 2021

On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 11:14:47 +0100
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason via cfarm-users
<cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20 2021, Baptiste Jonglez via cfarm-users wrote:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> > Hi,
> >
> > Due to a hardware failure, gcc220 had to be reinstalled on new
> > hardware.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it means that all user data on the old system has
> > been lost.
> >
> > On the bright side of things, the new hardware is much larger, with
> > 12 cores / 24 threads and 384 GB of RAM.  This is now the host with
> > the largest amount of memory in the farm.
> >
> > Many thanks to openbsd.amsterdam for providing the hardware and
> > hosting it!
>
> That's great, yes thanks for providing an OpenBSD machine that's this
> capible, it's not long ago that I'd often not test at all on OpenBSD
> because there was just some very slow VM'd 1-core box.
>
> Request: Would it be possible to provide a tmpfs on that machine
> ("man 8 mount_tmpfs" I believe) similar to the /run/user on some
> linux boxes? Something in the small number of GBs would be more than
> sufficient.

tmpfs was disabled long time ago on OpenBSD and is unsupported. The
closest thing to tmpfs is mfs:

https://dataswamp.org/~solene/2018-05-08-mfs-tmp.html

However, the performance is not really great. Also, if you reserve
space for mfs, it can't be used as normal RAM.

> My main use for development on these boxes is running git.git's test
> suite, it creates a fair bit of FS churn, and is very quickly I/O
> limited. It sets up and populates a lot of small git repositories on
> disk, only to rm -rf them shortly afterwards.

Until someone add a better filesystem to OpenBSD, the disk write
performance going to be low. You can't avoid that.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info