[cfarm-users] [cfarm-announces] New Apple Mac M1 machine (gcc304)

Paul H. Hargrove phhargrove at lbl.gov
Sun Mar 21 07:43:53 CET 2021

I second Jeff''s thanks to those who've made this system available.

Some notes I'd like to share from my initial login session:

1. Default shell is zsh, not bash.
This is a Apple/macOS default

2. Homebrew is installed.
Users should consider adding the following line to .zprofile (which should
be made executable)
eval $(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)

3. Reminder to those not accustomed to macOS:
The filesystem is case-preserving but case-insensitive.
One can have "Readme" or "README", but not both as distinct files in the
same directory.

4. Some useful Homebrew packages are missing as I write this (hint to
admins!)
+ autoconf
+ automake
+ GNU libtool (/usr/bin/libtool is a different beast)
+ gcc/g++ (the ones in /usr/bin are clang/clang++)

5. Finally a note from my earlier efforts to port to this target:
If using config.{sub,guess} (such as w/ autoconf) one needs versions from
(IIRC) Dec 2020 or later.
I believe the versions in the two most recent autoconf releases are
sufficient.
The system tuple was incorrect/inconsistent prior to that.

-Paul

--
Paul H. Hargrove <PHHargrove at lbl.gov>
Pronouns: he, him, his