[cfarm-users] New Apple Mac M1 machine (gcc304)

Bruno Haible bruno at clisp.org
Mon Mar 22 01:40:36 CET 2021

> I second Jeff''s thanks to those who've made this system available.

+1

> .zprofile (which should be made executable)

No, ~/.zprofile does not need to be made executable.

> 5. Finally a note from my earlier efforts to port to this target:
> If using config.{sub,guess} (such as w/ autoconf) one needs versions from
> (IIRC) Dec 2020 or later.

The config.guess from July 2020 works fine as well.

Not all older released tarballs are affected by this problem. Yes, the
older config.guess returns 'arm-apple-darwin20.3.0' instead of
'aarch64-apple-darwin20.3.0'. But for many packages (including those that
use libtool to install shared libraries) the $host_cpu does not matter.

6. There is no way to do interactive debugging, AFAICS:
  * lldb refuses interactive debugging:

    (lldb) run
    error: process exited with status -1 (developer mode is not enabled on this machine and this is a non-interactive debug session.)

  * gdb is not installed, and if it were installed, it would require
    that you use 'sudo gdb' instead of 'gdb' — which of course is not
    appropriate on a shared machine in the compilefarm.

  See also [1]. (Btw, the attack description [2] would apply to Linux and
  *BSD platforms as well.)

7. Documentation from Apple regarding porting issues:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/addressing-architectural-differences-in-your-macos-code

Bruno

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27238931/lldb-attaching-to-a-process-on-os-x-from-an-ssh-session
[2] https://attack.mitre.org/techniques/T1055/008/