[technique] Up next for the Open Compute Project: The Network

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Mer 8 Mai 19:53:35 CEST 2013

Bonsoir,

Apres les serveurs "Open Compute", Facebook lance le projet
d'un switch "top of rack" ouvert :

http://www.opencompute.org/2013/05/08/up-next-for-the-open-compute-project-the-network/
<<
(...)
We are working together, in the open, to design and build smarter, more
scalable, more efficient data center technologies — but we’re still
connecting them to the outside world using black-box switches that
haven’t been designed for deployment at scale and don’t allow consumers
to modify or replace the software that runs on them.

With that in mind, we are today announcing a new project within OCP that
will focus on developing a specification and a reference box for an
open, OS-agnostic top-of-rack switch. Najam Ahmad, who runs the network
engineering team at Facebook, has volunteered to lead the project, and a
wide variety of organizations — including Big Switch Networks, Broadcom,
Cumulus Networks, Facebook, Intel, Netronome, OpenDaylight, the Open
Networking Foundation, and VMware — are already planning to participate.
Work on the project will begin in earnest at the first-ever OCP
Engineering Summit, being held at MIT on May 16.
http://www.opencompute.org/events/ocp-engineering-summit-mit/
(...)

Voir aussi :

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/facebook-aims-to-knock-cisco-down-a-peg-with-open-network-hardware/