[cfarm-users] GCC repository clones (was: gcc110 /home is now 98% full)

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Mar 18 16:38:08 CET 2024

On Fri, Mar 08, 2024 at 01:38:42AM +0100, Vincent Lefevre via cfarm-users wrote:
> On 2024-03-07 18:25:15 -0600, Segher Boessenkool via cfarm-users wrote:
> > The full GCC repo is smaller than a single trunk checkout, fwiw.
>
> So, what would be needed is deduplication at the file system level,
> unless most space is taken by object files, in which case...

That is the case.  Debug info is way bigger than anything else.  Five or
ten times the size, something like that.

> > If you want to save space, run "make distclean" (and perhaps "rm -rf */")
> > in people's GCC build dirs.

And this is a very very VERY un-nice thing to do.  If people would do
that to me it would be advisable to them if they were some km away, or
certainly not in the same room.

Instead people should just clean up after themselves, eh.

Segher