[cfarm-users] Two problems on the gcc119 machine

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 22:11:19 CEST 2022

On 18/09/2022, Bruno Haible via cfarm-users
<cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:
> On the gcc119 (AIX 7.2) machine, there are two problems:
> With no room on /var/tmp, 'vi' is inoperable.

You could use the smallest full-function vi clone, xvi, either
   alias vi ~martin/bin/xvi
or
   export PATH=$PATH:~martin/bin
and then say "xvi" when you want it

The current source and docs are under ~martin/xvi-git-2021-08-13
I would have said
   git clone https://gitlab.com/martinwguy/xvi
   cd xvi/src
   make -f makefile.aix CC=gcc
but the machine's SSL certificates are too old to work.

I always install it when I go to work on a machine. The main extra is
split-window editing, either two views onto the same file or two different ones
with :split or :b other_file and :cl to close a view. (Oh, and no
nasty color highlighting!)

Of course, having a usable /var/tmp would be better; I just thought
this might let you work until it's sorted out.

Cheers