[cfarm-users] Nix on the compile farm?

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Mon Sep 12 12:53:16 CEST 2022

Hello,

We've had a request to install Nix (the package manager, not the OS) on
farm machines.  Since this is intrusive, we would like to make sure there
is some interest before doing this.

Out of the top of my head I see two kind of possible usage:

- user: easing installation of software that is not available in OS packages
- contributor: improving contribution to Nixpkgs by testing Nix packages on uncommon arch / OS

So, would anybody have any use for Nix, for one of these reasons or
another one?  If yes, on which farm machines?

Baptiste