[cfarm-users] New OS requirements on the farm?

Daniel Widdis widdis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 01:12:43 CEST 2022

I second the request for Alpine on baremetal.  Latest version OK.

Arch Linux would be a good addition we don't have.

A physical FreeBSD server (existing one is a VM) would be helpful.

I just do periodic ad-hoc testing of Java code.

On 4/7/22, 2:58 PM, "cfarm-users on behalf of Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado via cfarm-users" <cfarm-users-bounces at lists.tetaneutral.net on behalf of cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:46:37 +0200
    Baptiste Jonglez via cfarm-users <cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net>
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We will soon have to migrate some of the existing x86_64 machines at
    > OSUOSL, and we can choose the OS on the new machines.
    >
    > What OS would be useful to add to the farm?  We will most likely
    > provide Debian and CentOS, but are there other needs not well covered
    > by the farm? CentOS stream? 8 or 9? Rocky? Fedora? Arch Linux? Debian
    > testing?

    Maybe Alpine and openSUSE Leap?. The server with openSUSE is an ARM and
    the Alpine server is a VM. Alpine is the only "popular" distro which
    uses the musl libc.

    > Please be specific regarding versions (CentOS in particular can
    > quickly get confusing).  Also, it would be useful to know if you need
    > a particular OS only for lightweight tasks, or rather for heavy
    > building/testing of big projects.

    I only uses the servers for lightweight testing from time to time.

    --
    Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info