[cfarm-users] Retiring gcc113..gcc116

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:50:08 CEST 2021

On 13/07/2021, Segher Boessenkool via cfarm-users
<cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:
> We plan to retire the aarch64 machines gcc113, gcc114, gcc115, and
> gcc116 in a few weeks.  These machines are old and have hardware as
> well as software problems now (gcc116 already took itself down).
>
> There still will be gcc80, gcc117, gcc118, as well as the brand
> spanking new gcc185 for all your aarch64 needs.  But please migrate
> off of gcc113..gcc116 soon!

Thanks for the new machine!

However I just noticed that "top" on the new gcc185 reports 0.0 total
user time even when half a dozen CPU-intensive compilations are
running, though "vmstat 5" gets it right. I'm using gcc113 (Ubuntu) as
a comparison machine to see if I can isolate the problem. I'm also
using gcc117 (OpenSUSE), but "top" only sort of half works there,
never reporting more than 50% at full load, and sometimes 0.1 or 0.7
when the rows add up to 400%.

So might you leave at least at least one of the older machines up, as
the only working example, until I manage to find the problem (or until
I give up!)

Incidentally, gcc113 is 95% full, though I guess that doesn't matter
too much at this point. The users in a position to help most (i.e.
with >10GB) are
11713636        segher
12209188        jh
13026288        iii
13780264        polacek
14026824        rsavoye
15386548        qinzhao
16776992        jmaebe
19582616        aldyh
40556576        muller
107959056       phcoder
in case you're reading and not working on your stuff at present.

Blessings