[cfarm-users] Boostrapping gcc on gcc303

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 14:31:39 CEST 2020

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, 13:00 tkoenig--- via cfarm-users, <
cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently despairing of being able to bootstrap gcc on gc303
> (a FreeBSD machine).
>
> The installed gcc does not work because it is too old.
>
> Using clang instead, I found that that binutils is too old for gcc
> bootstrap.

What's the error? I don't think GCC requires a recent binutils, it should
build with reduced functionality when an old binutils is present.

> My request to cfarm-admins to install a recent binutils went
> unanswered (or maybe didn't get through).
>
> Trying to build a recent binutils first failed with the problem
> that *.xz is not supported on FreeBSD.

Why can't you download a .gz or .bz2 file instead? Binutils provides
multiple formats.

Repacking the tar file
> with gzip on my own box and coyping it over worked.
>
> However, trying to configure and build binutils fails with

> creating bfdver.h
> /usr/bin/sed -e s/NN/32/g <  > elf32-target.h
> /bin/sh: Syntax error: redirection unexpected (expecting word)
> *** Error code 2

This looks like some shell variable after < failed to get set and so
expands to nothing. Because that syntax isn't valid on Linux either.

> Anything else I can try?
>
> I'd really like try to try out a development branch on a non-Linux
> platform myself, but it seems not to be working.  Are there maybe
> other options?

Check if there's a newer GCC and/or binutils installed in the ports
collection, or in /opt/cfarm

Otherwise you could use the installed system GCC to build GCC 4.8.5, then
use that to build trunk. But it shouldn't be needed, using clang and the
system binutils should work.