[cfarm-users] Boostrapping gcc on gcc303

tkoenig at gcc.gnu.org tkoenig at gcc.gnu.org
Sat Oct 17 13:59:38 CEST 2020

Hi,

I am currently despairing of being able to bootstrap gcc on gc303
(a FreeBSD machine).

The installed gcc does not work because it is too old.

Using clang instead, I found that that binutils is too old for gcc
bootstrap.

My request to cfarm-admins to install a recent binutils went
unanswered (or maybe didn't get through).

Trying to build a recent binutils first failed with the problem
that *.xz is not supported on FreeBSD. Repacking the tar file
with gzip on my own box and coyping it over worked.

However, trying to configure and build binutils fails with

creating bfdver.h
/usr/bin/sed -e s/NN/32/g <  > elf32-target.h
/bin/sh: Syntax error: redirection unexpected (expecting word)
*** Error code 2

Anything else I can try?

I'd really like try to try out a development branch on a non-Linux
platform myself, but it seems not to be working.  Are there maybe
other options?

Best regards

     Thomas