[cfarm-users] having a bit of trouble with getting into the new netbsd and freebsd virtual machines

Assaf Gordon assafgordon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 23:06:57 CEST 2018

Hello Olly,

On 06/10/18 02:25 PM, Olly Betts via cfarm-users wrote:
> Not related to the ssh config, but I've noticed on the NetBSD VM that
> if you call getaddrinfo() with ai_family is set to AF_INET and pass an
> IPv6 address, you always seem to get an IPv4 address of a different
> machine on the local network, whereas other systems fail to resolve in
> this case.  You can see this with the command line getaddrinfo:
>
> gcc300$ getaddrinfo -f inet -t stream ::1
> stream inet tcp 192.168.66.50 0
>
> I can work around this fairly easily, but if anyone can shed light on
> what's going on I'd be grateful.  I failed to find any documentation or
> discussion of this online, and I asked on #NetBSD but got no response.
> I'm not sure if it's an oddity of the VM configuration or of NetBSD
> generally.

These BSD machines (gcc300-gcc303) are virtual machines which
are running inside an internal network (192.168.66.X).

The physical server hosting the VMs is 192.168.66.50.
The NetBSD VM is 192.168.66.202.
The public IP (184.68.105.38) machine forwards the TCP ports (e.g. 2400)
to the internal VMs.

This seems pretty standard to me, but if there are possible
improvements to the VM's configuration I'm happy to try them.

regards,
  - assaf