[cfarm-users] having a bit of trouble with getting into the new netbsd and freebsd virtual machines

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Oct 6 22:25:25 CEST 2018

On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 01:57:14PM -0500, CM Graff via cfarm-users wrote:
> `ssh cgraff1 at gcc303.fsffrance.org' and `ssh
> cgraff1 at gcc300.fsffrance.org' (the NetBSD and FreeBSD virtual
> machines) are not responding for me. It does not appear to be a key
> error.

For those you need to connect on a non-standard ssh port, as listed in
the second column of the table at:

https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/machines/list/

If you click the "Show ssh config" button at the top of that page you'll
get suitable lines to copy and paste into ~/.ssh/config so your ssh
command above will just work (obviously you should review them first,
but at least the version there now is just a list of:

Host gccNNN.fsffrance.org
   Port MMMM

Not related to the ssh config, but I've noticed on the NetBSD VM that
if you call getaddrinfo() with ai_family is set to AF_INET and pass an
IPv6 address, you always seem to get an IPv4 address of a different
machine on the local network, whereas other systems fail to resolve in
this case.  You can see this with the command line getaddrinfo:

gcc300$ getaddrinfo -f inet -t stream ::1
stream inet tcp 192.168.66.50 0

I can work around this fairly easily, but if anyone can shed light on
what's going on I'd be grateful.  I failed to find any documentation or
discussion of this online, and I asked on #NetBSD but got no response.
I'm not sure if it's an oddity of the VM configuration or of NetBSD
generally.

Cheers,
    Olly