[cfarm-users] Updating gcc70 to supported version of NetBSD

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:59:51 CEST 2018

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 18:22 Vincent Lefevre via cfarm-users, <
cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2018-05-25 20:24:54 +0100, Jonathan Wakely via cfarm-users wrote:
> > Hmm, I seem to have lost root access to that machine (which I was
> > given by Laurent when netbsd 5.1 was installed back in 2011).
> >
> > On 25 May 2018 at 20:11, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > gcc70 is running NetBSD 5.1 which is no longer supported, and can't
> > > even build GCC.
> > >
> > > I plan to update it to the latest stable version, 7.1, unless anybody
> > > objects in the next day or two.
>
> gcc70 currently runs Linux. Any reason why some NetBSD version
> hasn't been installed on it?

It failed to restart after installing NetBSD. Something about not
recognising the network card. The data centre staff got it going again,
then it broke again after I completed the update.

Since none of the admins are familiar with NetBSD it was decided to just
install something that actually boots, and then put a NetBSD VM on it.

Given that the farm is run entirely for free by volunteers, it's not
reasonable to expect them to deal with unreasonable systems that don't work
well.

There are no BSD machines any longer.

There are, but only VMs.