[cfarm-users] Looking for the latest GCC for PowerPC

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Dec 11 00:03:39 CET 2018

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 10:02:14PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton via cfarm-users wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:02 PM Segher Boessenkool
> <segher at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know where to find the latest GCC?
> >
> > You can just do
> >
> > $ $HOME/src/gcc/configure --prefix=$HOME/$WHEREVER --enable-languages=all
> > $ nice make -j99
> > $ make install
>
> Doesn't that waste disk space? I specifically try to avoid it because
> of the "clean your home drive" messages sent out on occasion.

It's all relative.  A compiler installation is less than 1GB, typically.
A source tree is many GB.  A build tree is tens of GB.

> It is also why I request a compiler be installed for everyone to use.

There already *are* compilers of the latest release installed on many
systems.  There are no daily builds, everyone wants to test with different
options -- and that is a *good* thing.

If you want to make some "generic" (say) weekly build available to everyone,
everywhere, just do so?

Segher