[Tetaneutral] Level3: Observations of an Internet Middleman

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Tue May 6 18:08:36 CEST 2014

Bonjour,

Via slashdot :

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/05/06/1256259/internet-transit-provider-claims-isps-deliberately-allow-port-congestion
http://blog.level3.com/global-connectivity/observations-internet-middleman/

On y trouve des données tres interessantes sur la structure
de l'internet, et la guerre actuelle entre les FAI
et le reste de l'internet, quelques citations ci-apres.

Sincèrement,

Laurent

"While Level 3 has tens of thousands of customers, it only has 51 peers"

"For example, 48 of the 51 Level 3 peering agreements are settlement
free. "

"The table below shows the connection locations Level 3 has with its
peers, and the total interconnection capacity exceeds 13,600Gbps."

"Level 3 has 51 peers that are interconnected in 45 cities through over
1,360 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (plus a few smaller ports). The
distribution of that capacity with individual peers ranges from a single
10 Gigabit Ethernet port to 148 ports. The average number of
interconnection cities per peer is five, but ranges from one to 20."

"The average utilization across all those interconnected ports is 36
percent. "

"A port that is on average utilised at 90 percent will be saturated,
dropping packets, for several hours a day. We have congested ports
saturated to those levels with 12 of our 51 peers. Six of those 12 have
a single congested port, and we are both (Level 3 and our peer) in the
process of making upgrades – this is business as usual and happens
occasionally as traffic swings around the Internet as customers change
providers."

"That leaves the remaining six peers with congestion on almost all of
the interconnect ports between us. Congestion that is permanent, has
been in place for well over a year and where our peer refuses to augment
capacity. They are deliberately harming the service they deliver to
their paying customers. They are not allowing us to fulfil the requests
their customers make for content.

Five of those congested peers are in the United States and one is in
Europe. There are none in any other part of the world. All six are large
Broadband consumer networks with a dominant or exclusive market share in
their local market. In countries or markets where consumers have
multiple Broadband choices (like the UK) there are no congested peers."

"One final point; the companies with the congested peering interconnects
also happen to rank dead last in customer satisfaction across all
industries in the U.S.[2] Not only dead last, but by a massive
statistical margin of almost three standard deviations."