[cfarm-users] gcc110 /home is now 98% full

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Mar 7 18:29:27 CET 2024

On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 10:30:13AM +0100, Martin Guy via cfarm-users wrote:
> >426G    segher
> >
> >and a handful of folks with multi-dozen GB homes.
>
> What a good thing gcc110 has such an enormous disc if people can need so
> much space to achieve certain effects

The disk of gcc110 is too small for how it is used.  That has been the
case since day 1, it isn't new.  There are 100s of active users on this
system, and most do not clean up after themselves.  A disk slightly
smaller than 2TB is only good for not so popular systems, for systems
that are more popular we really need 3TB (and more is always better of
course).

The "only" problem with a filled up fs is that it destroys other
people's ability to do work.  It is antisocial.  Clean up after
yourself!  You should have been taught that in kindergarten already ;-)

(There is no serious performance problem with filled up systems, this is
not DOS).

Segher