[cfarm-users] gcc110 /home is now 98% full

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Mar 7 23:39:14 CET 2024

On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 02:28:35PM -0800, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> Although I know that we are digressing since gcc110 does not use a
> log-structured filesystem, isn't the conclusion from that paper that
> disk utilization should be kept below 80% for log-structured
> filesystems independent of the disk size?

Maybe that is the conclusion from that paper, but in the real world,
for the things we do on the cfarm anyway, all that matters is that
everything fits in RAM.  In your disk cache.  Common operations (like
"git log", or stuff with the actual files we care about) are hundreds of
times faster that way.  Nothing beats *no* seeks!  :-)

On most bigger machines in the cfarm roughly half of ram is used for fs
cache.  (That is tuned by the kernel itself, no manual intervention
needed).

Segher