[cfarm-users] Is RSA really insecure?

Alexandre Oliva oliva at gnu.org
Thu Dec 14 05:22:28 CET 2023

On Dec 13, 2023, Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a pet peeve of mine:  unless you have a citation for an actual
> viable attack on RSA as used in SSH, or perhaps on the protocol SSH
> uses for RSA-based authentication

AFAIK, ssh-rsa relies on SHA1 and SHA1 is weakening.  Labeling it as
'insecure', like I did, was probably an exaggeration, but there seems to
be good reason to phase it out proactively rather than reactively.

Thanks for keeping me honest ;-)

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker                    https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist                           GNU Toolchain Engineer