[cfarm-users] Migration of gcc119

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 10:16:02 CEST 2023

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023, 03:20 Peter Gutmann via cfarm-users, <
cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:

> Bruno Haible via cfarm-users <cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> writes:
>
> >Because in the current state, it means that after creating a tarball of
> any
> >package that uses a 'configure' script, I need to wait 42 minutes until I
> can
> >build it.
>
> As someone in a time zone 12-24 hours ahead of most of the systems I use I
> run
> into this problem on almost every machine.  I've solved it by adding the
> following target to the makefile:
>
> touch:
>         touch ./makefile
>         find ./ | xargs touch
>
> If you really want to get fancy you could check for $system_date <
> $tarball_date and trigger that rule automatically.

If you have this problem with a tarball (implying you're already using tar)
then it suggests your system clock is wrong. Maybe you have your system
clock (which should be UTC) set to local time, instead of having the clock
set to UTC and your local time zone set to Pacific/Auckland.

If the problem you describe was real (rather than user error) it would
affect the entire world except for the Americas, and nobody would tolerate
it.