[cfarm-users] Missing "make" on gcc210 or gcc211.fsffrance.org / or wrong autoconf - any idea?

Jaroslav Fojtik Jafojtik at yandex.com
Sun Oct 30 10:22:47 CET 2022

Dear Cfarm users,

> No, that's how Solaris is supposed to work. Other packages on Solaris
> expect the native make (found in the paths Bruno pointed out) so making GNU
> Make found in PATH by default would break things.
>
> If your code requires GNU Make, it's up to you to ensure it will be
> found/used by adjusting the environment for your configure script, not by
> making system-wide changes.

The problem behind is that I hoped that user runs autoconf and autoconf will decide
whether to execute "make" or "gmake" or whatever else.

There are no means in autoconf to instruct it to search for gmake.

I am asking, is this standard on solaris not to have installed make but gmake instead?

> May be that this is a bug of autoconf.
>N.B. Jaroslav said that, not me :)
I am not sure.

I can write to WP2LaTeX manual that user must do sometimes:
   MAKE=gmake;export MAKE

I have really expected that autoconf solves this upleasant stuff.

>AC_PROG_MAKE_SET, as documented [1], uses $MAKE if set or else `make´.
thanks.

Anyway thanks for compile farm, I have found at least 2 problems in my code:
 https://hg.osdn.net/view/wp2latex/wp2latex/rev/22f7d5d3c80a
 https://hg.osdn.net/view/wp2latex/wp2latex/rev/3ed49348c68f
it is better to find a problem here than to cause problems for user.

thanks
   Jara