[cfarm-users] [cfarm-announces] New Loongson 3A5000 machines: gcc400 and gcc401

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Jan 8 18:59:15 CET 2022

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 11:51:54AM +0100, Andreas Schwab via cfarm-users wrote:
> On Jan 07 2022, Christian Jullien via cfarm-users wrote:
> > Also, the following variables are set
> >
> > LANG=zh_CN
> > LC_ALL=zh_CN
> > LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
> > LC_NUMERIC=zh_CN
> > LC_TYPE=zh_CN
> >
> > I set them in my .bash_profile to more common en_US.UTF-8
> >
> > You probably want to set them globally for all users.
>
> Even better, configure sshd to accept the locale env vars.  This way,
> everyone gets his familiar locale.

That only works if the local and remote system recognise the same
locale names.  This works well in a homogeneous environment; it does not
work well at all in a more varied environment.  Locale names are not
standardised (except "C" and "POSIX" :-) )

For example, that en_US.UTF-8 (as it is on Mac OS) will not work on most
Linux systems, which use en_US.utf8 instead.

Segher