[cfarm-users] Install libtool on GCC119

Bruno Haible bruno at clisp.org
Mon Feb 14 05:39:18 CET 2022

Hi Jeffrey,

> Would it be possible to have libtool installed, please?

You don't need libtool to be preinstalled in /usr or /usr/local, since
you can easily install it on any machine within a few seconds:

  $ wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.6.tar.gz
  $ tar xfz libtool-2.4.6.tar.gz
  $ cd libtool-2.4.6
  $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME
  $ make
  $ make install
  $ PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

Likewise for autoconf and automake.

By the way, on macOS machines, GNU libtool cannot even be installed in
/usr, since macOS /usr/bin/libtool is something entirely different.

> I'm trying to test an Autotools project on GCC119. Bootstrap is failing:
>
> Running bootstrap

It is unusual to run 'bootstrap' on deployment machines, because you then
also often need bison, flex, gperf and other programs to be installed. The
common way to test packages is to run 'bootstrap' and 'make distcheck'
on a development machine and transfer the resulting tarball to the deployment
machine.

> configure.ac:146: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

The macro AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is deprecated. Libtool version 2.x has LT_INIT,
to be used instead. [1]

Bruno

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/LT_005fINIT.html