[cfarm-users] gcc102 (sparc64) being replaced

Zach van Rijn me at zv.io
Wed Dec 21 07:23:49 CET 2022

On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 11:01 -0600, Zach van Rijn via cfarm-users
wrote:

> I can cover the cost of a T4-2 (somehow cheaper than a T3-2
> now), however for anything else I'll need some help. My opinion
> is that a T5-2 or later would be better. A T7-2, these can get
> expensive.

Given:

  * https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2022/12/msg00002.html

  * https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2022-December/240322.html

  * disabling one CPU at a time, replacing the memory, resetting
    configurations, etc., I still can't get Linux to be stable :(

  * an ongoing need by unrelated projects for real SPARC hardware

I've purchased a T4-2 with 2 x 8-core CPUs and 128GB memory, and
plan to make it available with the following cfarm allocations:

  * Linux (Debian) -- 32GB, 32 threads (4 cores)

  * Solaris (11.4) -- 32GB, 32 threads (4 cores)

Hopefully this provides cfarm the necessary platform coverage for
basic testing (gcc210 + gcc211 already offer older Solaris).

It should be significantly faster than the T3. The T4 has an OOE
pipeline and a totally redesigned core. Estimates are around 2.5x
faster. Oracle advertise 5x single-threaded speedup over the T3,
but 30% slower than the T5.

The rest of the machine will not be available for public use, so
if more resources are needed, someone needs to step up to assist.

I recognize this isn't ideal, but it's pretty clear SPARC is dead
and more software will drop support for it without generosity for
the purchase of hardware and volunteers to maintain the software.

ETA for setup is about 1-2 weeks, +/- holiday disruptions and any
glitches in setting it up.

ZV

P.S. If anyone wants the T3-2 and is willing to pay for shipping
or pick it up locally (Philadelphia, PA), please reach out. I've
been running Solaris just fine, so maybe it's not scrap metal.