[cfarm-users] Missing command "ar" on gcc210

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 17 23:45:39 CET 2022

Hi,

> Am 17.12.2022 um 20:49 schrieb Jaroslav Fojtik via cfarm-users <cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net>:
>
> Hi Bruno & all others,
>
>> As can be seen from
>>  https://gitlab.com/ghwiki/gnow-how/-/wikis/Platforms/Configuration
>> on some platforms, you need to adjust PATH before starting to compile anything.
>>
>> In particular, on Solaris 10, you need to have /usr/ccs/bin in PATH.
>
> It is interesting that "ar" could be executed on gcc211 without any problem.
> So I have expected that gcc210 is misconfigured.

gcc210 is Solaris 10 while gcc211 is Solaris 11 which has a different userland
system.

>> use 'gar' instead?
>> $ gar
>> Usage: gar [emulation options] [-]{dmpqrstx}[abcDfilMNoPsSTuvV]
>> [member-name] [count] archive-file file...
>>      gar -M [<mri-script]
>
> I can improve configure script to look for a "gar" when "ar" is not available.
> I have not noted that this could even occur.

You should not do this. The „g“-prefix is an OpenCSW special, also the GNU tools
are available without prefix at /opt/csw/gnu where ar means GNU ar.

>> In particular, on Solaris 10, you need to have /usr/ccs/bin in PATH.
> This should be a responsibility of anybody who attempts to compile my package.
> I can drop a line to manual.

A build note is IMHO sufficient, anybody who builds on Solaris will know this
anyway.

Best regards

  — Dago