[cfarm-users] Unable to git pull on gcc112

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Apr 1 16:30:23 CEST 2022

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 09:24:20PM -0500, Jacob Bachmeyer via cfarm-users wrote:
> Security is always a trade-off and is never entirely without costs.  I
> stand by my original position that GitHub removing choice from the user
> here is bad and wrong.  Rightly, it is up to you to balance risk vs.
> effort to mitigate same as they apply to _your_ situation.

Let me reply to this piece only then: many people have big opinions
about security, but most people aren't qualified at all to make
decisions involving it, because they lack the facts, or lack expertise.

Security should be tight by default, and it should be super easy to set
up something in a secure way.  Git fails in that first thing currently,
but GitHub's recent move fails in the latter for a non-trivial fraction
of users.  But they obviously feel they have to do something, and I
applaud them for that.

All of this is off-topic for this list, so let's leave it at that.

Segher