[cfarm-users] Best practices for not hogging resources (nice, ionice, ramdisk etc.)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 17:14:34 CEST 2021

Per Segher's recent-ish mail about gcc185:

    You can connect to the machine at gcc185.fsffrance.org, default SSH
    port.  Please be aware and mindful of others (do not hog all CPU, all
    memory, all disk space, etc.)

Do others here have any tips for being nicer on these servers? My
personal test scripts do:

 * A nice -n 19
 * An ionice -c 3 (works on Linux boxes)
 * Run any build/testing in the /run/user/$(id -u) ramdisk, or
   /scratch/$USER on AIX.

When there's a build or tests I need to wait for I'm sometimes more
aggressive with "make -jN" on modern Linux boxes than otherwise, knowing
that the scheduler (mostly) will guarantee that should others need the
resources more my jobs will be penalized first.

But perhaps that's not considered good practice, hence this E-Mail...