[cfarm-users] Nvidia Jetson AGX Xavier in beta access (gcc80)

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Thu Apr 8 23:26:39 CEST 2021

Hi,

As discussed previously, we have a new board in the farm: a Nvidia Jetson
AGX Xavier, which has a custom "Carmel" ARM processor [1] with 8 cores and
32 GB of DDR4.  This board is kindly made available by the Laboratoire
d'Informatique de Grenoble [2].

It is already accessible over SSH as gcc80.  It's still in "beta" access
though, mostly because the board is not yet at its final location in a
datacenter.

Disk space is tight, so please clean up as much as possible any data you
no longer plan to use.

There are several possible "power and clock configuration" modes on this
board, see the second table here:

  https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/power_management_jetson_xavier.html#wwpID0E0VO0HA

I decided to go with the "MAXN" mode that enables all 8 cores at maximum
frequency.  If the system turns out to be too hot or unstable, we will
probably go back to the default "15W Desktop" mode (ID 7 in the table)
that only enables 4 cores.

There is a "tegrastats" command that displays hardware-specific
performance statistics.

The OS is the standard "Linux for Tegra" distribution from Nvidia, based
on Ubuntu 18.04.  Usual development packages are installed, but software
support for the graphic and deep learning hardware (CUDA, CUDNN, etc) is
not installed for now.

Any feedback about the hardware or software is welcome, especially during
the beta.

Baptiste

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Denver
[2] https://www.liglab.fr/en