[cfarm-users] Policy of installed sw

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Mon Nov 16 08:48:22 CET 2020

On 15-11-20, Rolf Ebert GCC via cfarm-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it has been a long time since I last worked on a cfarm machine.
>
> 1) What is the current policy for preinstalled sw? The wiki (still?)
> claims that several source packages can be found in /opt/cfarm/ftp. At
> least on gcc10, gcc123, and gcc120 the directory doesn't exist. If I
> look in /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/ most machines have gcc-6, some
> also have gcc-7 and/or gcc-8. Am I supposed to install all the necessary
> compilers and tools in my home directory? or did I look in the wrong places?

It depends on the machine, I think the AIX / POWER machines have some
tools in /opt/cfarm.  In general we have a wide selection of software
installed, but if you need custom / more recent ones, you need to
build them in your home directory.

> 2) BTW, I consider emacs an essential development tool, too. All the
> computers that I had a look only had installed the non-X version. Do I
> really have to build my own emacs?

Emacs should be installed on most machines, but it's the non-graphical
variant.  You mean you would like to use the graphical version with X
forwarding?

Baptiste