[cfarm-users] GCC 10.10.2 on POWER8

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 21:51:17 CET 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM David Edelsohn <dje.gcc at gmail.com> wrote:

> What does GCC 10.10.2 mean?  There is no GCC 10.10.2 release.  Do you
> mean GCC 10.2?

I guess I am parsing the version number wrong from the package name.
Here is the package name:

    g++-10_10.2.1-1 gcc-10_10.2.1-1

> There are no Power systems in the GNU Compile Farm running Debian,
> only CentOS and Fedora.

Yeah, I was hoping it is a bad interaction with the compiler and we
can duplicate it with the same compiler.

> GCC for PPC64LE defaults to Power8, so there should be no illegal
> instructions.  Is the Debian system running a correct version of the
> Linux kernel for Power8?  There could be some sort of an unaligned
> access or other special situation with a Power8 instruction that the
> Debian  kernel is not sufficiently recent or missing a patch to handle
> the fixup.

I'm not sure about the details of the Debian machine.

Thanks,

Jeff