[cfarm-users] GCC112 disk space

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 17:46:12 CET 2019

On 21/01/2019, Aymeric via cfarm-users
<cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:
> here is the list of top 10 user, if you're in
> you should consider making some space ;-)

I don't think that publicly flogging the top ten is the best strategy
for two reasons:
1) It's embarassing and unloving
2) The biggest users may be using more because they are doing more
work for free than anyone else.
3) It tends to make the other hundreds of users to think "Oh, look at
those big hogs. I don't need to do anything" - yet the many can make
more of a difference than the few
4) When someone had the bright idea of making a perpetual top-ten hogs
list for our machines, some users would use more space to get the
publicity of being in the top ten!

It would be more polite and pointful, if you feel that the going after
biggest users is a useful strategy, for an official cfarm admin to
write to those people in private, explaining the problem and politely
asking whether they need to use quite so much space

Have faith in people's good nature and willingness to help