[cfarm-users] Setting up GitLab CI for git.git on the farm

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:43:40 CET 2018

On Mon, Nov 26 2018, David Edelsohn wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 6:16 PM Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> +CC cfarm-admins@
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 25 2018, David Edelsohn via cfarm-users wrote:

>> > The AIX systems unfortunately are I/O bound.
>> >
>> > One can run set up a temporary directory in the /scratch RAMDISK for
>> > some improvement.
>>
>> Thanks. The /scratch directory exists on gcc119 and speeds things up by
>> a *lot*, but doesn't exist on the other AIX machine, gcc111. Would it be
>> possible to have /scratch be a ramdisk there too?
>
> It's possible, but gcc111 is an old system with an older release of
> AIX. There's not a lot of reason to focus on it.

Thanks. I don't have any burning desire to test things there, but the
reason I test on these obscure setups is because it often reveals edge
cases in POSIX assumptions & other portability issues. So testing on
older OS's also helps. But per the "[cfarm-users] GCC111 filesystem is
very slow" it looks like others might have similar issues.