[cfarm-users] Setting up GitLab CI for git.git on the farm

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sun Nov 25 10:23:41 CET 2018

Hi,

On 24-11-18, Segher Boessenkool via cfarm-users wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 11:28:58PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason via cfarm-users wrote:
> > I got access to the farm a while ago to test free software projects I
> > work on, mainly git.git. I wanted to send a headsup about what I've been
> > up to.
> >
> > I'm setting up something where the integration branches of git.git are
> > smoke tested on various machines on the farm. See the Git ML
> > announcement at
> > https://public-inbox.org/git/875zwm15k2.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com/

Nice!

> > Currently I'm running things on these machines:
> > https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git-gitlab-ci/blob/b8d4645891aa/.gitlab-ci.yml#L16-57

We have a munin instance with graphs for most machines, it allows to check
whether the machine is already heavily used.  For instance:

https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/munin/gccfarm/gcc112/index.html#system

> > I've tried to be conservative about resources. It's all nice -n 19'd,
> > and with a conservative -j value relative to the number of cores:
> > https://gitlab.com/git-vcs/git-gitlab-ci/blob/b8d4645891aa/ci/gitlab/run-on-gcc-farm.sh#L62-163
>
> At least for the Power machines, that isn't conservative at all.
> -j1 is conservative.  -j24 is not conservative on a machine with 20 CPUs
> (gcc112), or 32 CPUs (gcc135).  The AIX (gcc119) jobs seem to run for over
> an hour on half the machine?  That's no good :-(

According to ansible [https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/machines/list/] gcc112
has 160 cores, and gcc135 has 128 cores.  Is ansible getting this wrong?

Baptiste