[cfarm-users] Nice on GCC202?

Anatoly Pugachev matorola at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:16:25 CET 2018

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 5:57 AM, Jeffrey Walton via cfarm-users
<cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:
> Every 30 seconds or 1 minute or so the terminal ding's and this message shows:
>
>     Message from syslogd at gcc202 at Mar  9 05:31:14 ...
>      kernel:[827541.133057] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck
> for 22s! [sshd:244056]
>
> It looks like the issue has been reported on CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu,
> Suse, VMware. It also looks like there are a lot of culprits, from
> over-commitment of resources to bad power supplies.

We've seen this on the same machine, but on another LDOM with more
CPU/RAM resources (for example compiling 2 different versions of gcc
in parallel with testsuite enabled (make check), each with make -j32).
I believe it's overcommited resource usage. Though machine will seem
work normally, but it's better to reboot it to recover soft CPU
lockup.