[cfarm-users] Changing shell with chsh without being prompted for password

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Tue Jul 17 12:44:09 CEST 2018

Hi,

Currently, it not possible to update its own shell on the farm machines:
chsh prompts for the user password, but authentication is solely performed
through SSH keys, so there is no way to use a password to authenticate.

As an experiment, we have just added PAM configuration to gcc13 and gcc14
so that chsh does not ask for a password.  It amounts to adding this line
to /etc/pam.d/chsh:

    auth	     sufficient	  pam_permit.so

The complete /etc/pam.d/chsh (based on Debian stretch) is now:

  https://paste.swordarmor.fr/8gN4

gcc13 and gcc14 are thus available for testing changing your login shell.

If you know about any security issues that could arise from this setting,
please speak up!  If everything looks fine, we will deploy this setting to
all farm machines.

Thanks,
Baptiste