[cfarm-users] Please cleanup your /home on farm machines

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 21:29:23 CET 2018

On 19/01/2018, David Edelsohn via cfarm-users
<cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Segher Boessenkool via cfarm-users
> <cfarm-users at lists.tetaneutral.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 03:05:48PM +0100, Martin Guy via cfarm-users
>> wrote:
>>> find /home \( \
>>>         \( -name '*.o' -a \! -atime +7 \) \

>> I veto this 400%.  People have valuable .o files, and this is not very
>> effective anyway (other files take up more space).
>
> Automatically deleting files is completely unacceptable and contrary
> to the purpose of the GNU Compile Farm

This is debatable as they should be regenerated automatically at the
next make, and though smaller than the source, they are still a bulk.
Idem core files. If you haven't worked on it for a week (-atime) I'd
say you can recompile them.

Still, it's up the the admins to decide as there are too widely
difffering opinions and needs here.

Yes, if everyone were more careful to clean when done the problem
wouldn't arise. That's another possible solution. i remember, still in
the late 80s, when I had to upgrade the OS in a way that needed
copying the user files over the local net, reformat, install and
replace user files. I put up a motd that explained this, and the disk
usage dropped from 90$ to 30% in 24 hours. I was glad to have such
excellent responsive users.

Another technique is to put a hall of shame in the motd so that
everyon sees who are the top 10 hogs. That seems to be effective too
(unless the hogs have a war to see who gets to be No1...)

How about we see how it goes, and if the problem arises again, we can
consider an automated solution, with all the work and discussion that
implementing that involves.