[cfarm-users] gcc111.fsffrance.org running AIX does not have a symlink to `cc'

CM Graff cm0graff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:50:26 CEST 2017

Mark, this appears to be simply a degeneration in the POSIX
specification for `cc' which was removed and replaced with a patently
unportable command `c99'. Probably because of nonsensical corporate
influence. I indeed agree at this point that it should be left alone
and that no symlink to `cc' should be provided.

I was incorrect about the symlink and verified that myself earlier
today on gcc75 with a default installation of gcc, However in the
process of actually trying to use AIX, other problems with the system
that are administration based have arisen, of which I have begun
addressing in a new thread.

Bottom line is this: the only bigger waste of time than this thread is
the dying AIX itself, and the unmaintained machines. Were the cfarm to
install its own decisions of OS I feel quite confident that this AIX
would not be amongst those chosen,

Graff