[cfarm-announces] Explanation behind "You have been unsubscribed"

CFarm Annoucements cfarm-announces at lists.tetaneutral.net
Tue Jul 28 08:39:54 CEST 2020

Hello everyone,

I would like answer to everyone at once who are asking "Why have I been
unsubscribe?!"

The short answer is quite simple: a missing check in a script… :-)

We had a network issue at Tetaneutral facility on July 17th at 1:30 (all
time are GMT+0200) leaving all machines hosted at Tetaneutral.net in the
dark.
As a result the cfarm VM (the website and admin server) and mailman VM
were still up but unable to talk together.
At 6:15 a script was executed, as usual, to sync the list from the cfarm
users with this mailing list.. and here is the bug.
The script was unable to get the list and created an empty file. As a we
synced the mailman subscription with and empty file, everyone was
unsubscribed.
The script now check that the file is not empty before updating mailman,
this
should avoid such issue in the future.

The network issue was fixed around 9:00, the script fixed at about 11:00
and also a power issue affecting gcc22, 23, 24, 45 was fixed at about 17:00

So everything should now be back to normal.

Sorry about that.

Also, some of you asked to update their email address, please go there:
https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/profile/ to change it. As you may guess,
this will be synced automatically a few hours later ;)

Aymeric for cfarm.