[cfarm-users] Call for testing: Alpine and Debian 32-bits VMs

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Thu Jan 11 01:25:27 CET 2024

Hello,

Volunteers at tetaneutral.net have setup a new machine for the farm,
allowing to host small VMs relatively easily.

So far, we have setup two VMs:

- cfarm26, a 32-bit x86 Debian host that should look like the old cfarm45
  (but with a much newer Debian version).

- cfarm27, a 32-bit x86 Alpine host

The VMs have their /home mounted through virtiofs.  The actual storage is
a small ZFS array on the VM host.  Virtiofs should (hopefully) provide
good POSIX semantics, and apparently it is working fine with recent guest
kernels.

The VMs are available in "beta" mode for now: let us know if they work
fine, if required packages are missing, if virtiofs causes problems, etc.
Things might break.

We have space for maybe 2-3 more VMs, ideas for OS are welcome.  We were
thinking of adding a regular x86_64 Alpine VM.

Regards,
Baptiste